Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tourist Trap


This weekend we have some big plans, so I thought I would get this weekend’s post done before hand. My wife, kids and I are heading over to Wisconsin Dells to spend some time with our good friends Blake, the pod casting God, his lovely fiancee  Molly, and their boys. Blake and I have some quality man love time planned. You will have to wait for a later post for the details. I don’t want to give anything away. Who knows, maybe I will be writing a post next week about a big sex party. Maybe some partner swapping at the Wilderness. Now, by swapping, I am swapping my wife for Blake. I have heard that a little cherry UV can go a long way. Since that little vacation doesn't start until tomorrow night I am sitting here enjoying a Pabst, and watching Tourist Trap.

Before we get to the bit about Tourist Trap I thought I would tell the story of the first time that Molly and I met. Blake and I had been friends for a while. Actually, Molly and I had been friends for a while too. We just never had the opportunity to meet in person until about a year ago. Blake hosts the IBWIP podcast I mentioned in the last post. Blake and I started talking on Facebook a couple of years ago. We met in person when my work brought me to his home town. Over the course of a couple of months I traveled there a few times. I believe it was my second visit that Molly and I finally got to meet in person. Now, Molly and I had been Facebook friends for some time at this point. So, it wasn't like meeting a total stranger. I should point out that the whole purpose of me going on and on about this is so I can tell you about Molly yelling at me. Yelling actually is a bit of an understatement. It was more like screaming at me.

This particular evening started off with me meeting up with Blake and Molly at their place. Blake and I grabbed a bite to eat while Molly was attending a little league game. Over dinner, Blake and I were discussing some of the music that we were currently listening to. For the most part, Blake and I listen to the same stuff. However, every once in a while one of us is listening to something that the other hasn’t heard of. Or, hasn't had the chance to listen to yet. During our dinner chat I mentioned to Blake that it was suggested to me to check out Kellie Pickler’s latest album, 100 Proof. So I took that advice, and I loved the album. Blake was a little skeptical, but asked if I could play him some when we got back to his place. When we got back I hooked up my phone to his stereo and started the first track. At this point we did not mention to Molly that is was Kellie Pickler. Molly seemed to enjoy it through the first track. Once the second track came on, which is a little more poppy, she insisted on knowing who it was. I told her it was Kellie Pickler. She then stood up on the couch and pointed her finger at me, and at the top of her lungs she screamed at me ‘HOW DARE YOU BRING THIS SHIT INTO MY HOUSE’. When she climbed off the couch I smashed a lamp on the ground and left.

Well now that I have that out of the way, let’s get on with the post.
 Tourist Trap was released in 1979 prior to Empire International, or Full Moon, being formed. The film was produced by the Charles Band Productions company. Personally I feel that Tourist Trap starts off with a bit a Texas Chainsaw Massacre rip off feel to it. Since I have already stated that I am not a movie critic I will not be critical of this one. Tourist Trap came out before the direct to video boom. With its obscure story line it’s no surprise that it wasn't successful. It has since developed somewhat of a cult following. In case you didn't know, the movie is based on lifelike mannequins that come alive at a stranded road side museum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment